The development of the blueprint aims to cover the most important considerations both from an environmental & economical perspective:
- Minimizing energy consumption overall, especially for unused server resources
- Virtualization and application modernization so that the resources deployed today are fully utilized
- Take what is already there, not creating new resource consumption - modernize it, maximize utilization and thus minimize unused energy and resources
The overall aim is to develop a blueprint which owners and service providers can utilize to either transform or build new server rooms, minimizing energy use and maximizing resource efficiency.
It covers the entire value chain of a server room and delivers the tools needed for a holistic optimization of the system:
- The physical infrastructure - building systems, cooling- & electrical infrastructure, data collection & reporting
- The IT infrastructure - server and networking equipment, monitoring, virtualization and orchestration
- The IT applications - containerization, modernization, resilience and redundancy within software itself
The development of the blueprint is primarily funded through the European Union’s Horizon 2020 program under the ‘ECO-Qube’ project. Further funding by members will be applied towards communication, policy & financial and impact modelling work.