Our Community Code of Conduct
Version 1.1, 13th of June 2022. Read how we operate our SDIA community, our communication standards and principles that each participant in our community is committed to.
In the SDIA community, organizational members and individuals from all over the globe come together to work towards a transparent & sustainable digital economy. Each individual, either representing an organization or themselves, is part of making this community & mission possible through their support, feedback, engagement, and contributions.
This document defines the Code of Conduct of our community with the aim to ensure that we can cooperate effectively in a transparent, open, and inspiring environment. It also explains how, the SDIA, intends to run a strong and supportive community in which everyone is welcome and respected.
This Code of Conduct is available to all member organizations, partners, researchers, and individuals and we expect everyone who is actively engaged in the community to adhere to it.
Examples of behavior that contributes to a positive environment for our community include:
- Using welcoming and inclusive language.
- Being respectful of differing opinions, viewpoints, and experiences.
- Giving and gracefully accepting constructive feedback.
- Focusing on what is best for the community.
- Showing empathy and kindness towards other community members.
Examples of unacceptable behavior include:
- The use of sexualized language or imagery and unwelcome sexual attention or advances.
- Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks.
- Public or private harassment.
- Publishing other's private information, such as a physical or electronic address, without explicit permission.
- Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting.
We also enforce the following rules to ensure members feel comfortable being open and transparent in the questions they ask and the relationships they build in the community:
No spammy behavior
- Light self-promotion is totally fine, but please refrain from constantly promoting your business e.g. products, services, events, etc. Participate organically!
- No straight-up marketing, please. Again, participate organically!
This is not a marketplace
- Out of respect for our shared mission, please do not sell things through our community.
- Please do not solicit business, unless explicitly invited to do so by the member or by a representative of the SDIA staff.
- We know that political discourse is very important, especially now. This rule is simply meant to avoid intense, heated political discussions in our community.
With the support of the SDIA staff (the “Staff”), Member Organizations, Partners, Researchers, and Individuals are responsible for clarifying the standards of acceptable behavior. Each active community participant is expected to take appropriate and fair corrective action in response to any instances of unacceptable behavior.
The Staff has the right and responsibility to remove, edit, or reject comments, commits, wiki edits, issues, and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, and if necessary to ban temporarily or permanently any participant of the community for other behaviors that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.
This Code of Conduct applies within all of the SDIA community spaces (for example, our steering group mailing lists, Slack, our member platform, our knowledge hub, and our events), and it also applies when an individual is representing the SDIA or its community in public spaces, conferences or events. Examples of representing a project or community include posting via an official social media account or acting as a project, community, or steering group representative at an online or offline event.
If you are found in violation of the above Code of Conduct or any of the additional community rules, you will receive a warning about your behavior. Instances of abusive, harassing, or otherwise unacceptable behavior may be reported by contacting the SDIA staff at [email protected].
All complaints will be reviewed and investigated, resulting in a response deemed necessary and appropriate to the circumstances. The SDIA staff is obligated to maintain confidentiality with regard to any person who has reported an incident. If your behavior is unacceptable or you use our community for illegal activities, you will be immediately removed from our community.
If you find someone in violation of our SDIA Community Code of Conduct or rules, please send an email to [email protected]. Where possible, please include a direct link to the violation and/or a screenshot.